Re: libefs/gnome-vfs/bonobo

Hi Mathieu,

On 26 Jul 2000, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> Would it be possible to move gnome-vfs's efs method
> from gnome-vfs to bonobo ?

        There is currently an efs storage / stream method in bonobo and
also one in gnome-vfs. I had assumed that it was technicaly best to do
file system stuff in the vfs; you seem to suggest you disagree.

> Basically, gnome-vfs depends on bonobo because it uses libefs

        Incorrect, gnome-vfs has an optional dependency on libefs, this is
a separate CVS module that is virtually linked into bonobo. There should
be no problem with this ever, but if there is simply checkout libefs and
install it before gnome-vfs. Do you have a real dependency problem that
stops you from building ?

> and bonobo depends on gnome-vfs for something ( I don't remember why
> but it has something to do with storages.

        Bonobo has an optional dependency on gnome-vfs which I had hoped
to move to entirely to do our direct storage code, the problem is that
gnome-vfs' API doesn't support transactions which is rather an important
part of what we want from a storage, furthermore depending on gnome-vfs
causes problems with trying to release bonobo. So I have just disabled
the bonobo vfs storage modules, so there is now no dependency on
gnome-vfs in bonobo.