Re: binding object id's to objects...

Michael Meeks <michael@helixcode.com> writes:

> Maciej and I had this exchange; and then it moved here:
>

> 	I think the custom factory stuff is similar to what we want to
> achieve with Monikers; perhaps we should be able to ask for a moniker
> associated with each Bonobo object, clearly it is not possible to
> associate an OafIId with any random CORBA object.

Hmm, is it always possible to have a Moniker associated with a Bonobo
object? I can certainly think of ways to activate objects in a way the
moniker implementation could not possibly be aware of.

> 	Hmm; any ideas anyone ? for now I have hacked gnumeric's
> activation logic to cache the object_id to allow easy serialization.

I think having an IID associated with each object is not an
unreasonable desire (perhaps we could even have oafinfo's for objects
not activatable through normal means, just to store various metadata
you could query about, even though you can't activate the object via
OAF).

I don't know how feasible this is with CORBA. I do know things like
the trader service are designed to contain metainformation about
objects. Perhaps we could have an "IID" service that remembers object
IIDs, and have OAF automatically register objects activated through
normal means with it.

We've definitely wanted ways to get the IID (and other oafinfo data)
off a running object with Nautilus and for now handle it by keeping
this info around.

 - Maciej