Re: Bonobo requires a new toolbar widget.

Hi,

I think the GTK maintainers agree that GtkToolbar needs replacing, so
I would suggest mailing the toolbar plans (maybe the header file when
you have it) to gtk-devel-list and getting it in GTK eventually as
Anders was planning with his coolbar.

A serious usability problem with the GTK/GNOME platform is weird
widget duplication and people don't know which to use. GtkList,
GtkCList, *Pixmap/*Image, GtkMenuFactory, GtkItemFactory,
gnome-app-helper, gnome-ui-handler, GtkPixmapMenuItem, etc. etc.

We need to take seriously the issue of making this go away over the
long term. Sometimes it's impossible because GTK doesn't have all the
GNOME facilities, but in this case it shouldn't be a problem. (The
only gross thing will be the inability to have a pixbuf API, but I
think very eventually, though perhaps not in 1.4, GTK needs an RGB
buffer datatype like GdkPixbuf - Qt has QImage here.)

If the new toolbar wants to autosave via gnome-config or something,
then you can probably implement that by putting the base widget in GTK
and then subclassing a GNOME version, so at least you have the same
API for the two widgets since the GNOME one is_a GTK one. This is what
we're doing with the new GtkColorSelection widget.

Oh, Ettore remember that GnomeDock fixes are also needed to make the
toolbar rearranging work better as it does in Qt, I think Jonathan may
have mentioned this a while back.

Havoc