Re: Request: Test suite for EFS.

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@gnu.org> writes:

> > I think the next generation of smart XML tools is much more important
> > to support than legacy Microsoft tools. Let's design data formats for
> > tomorrow's universe, not today.
>
> Your phrase, although it sounds very catchy it ignores reality.
>
> Example: OS of the future: Plan9.  OS of today: Unix.

Unix beat Plan9 because it was an open standard with multiple widely
availale implementations, and is winning today because of several good
open source implementations.

I think it's clear which side of this fence XML is on.

Also, Windows is far more popular than Unix today, especially on the
desktop. But we expect that to change precisely because of the
proprietary nature of Windows.

> I can go on and on over failed "visionary" systems.  Lets stay factual
> here, and leave emotions out of the discussion on whether XML is the
> right format for compound documents.

XML is not a `failed "visionary" system', it's technology that's used
today and that will be used more and more. It's being deployed by just
about every software vendor in the world, not one quixotic company or
group of hackers.

 - Maciej