Re: Drag n drop.

Nat Friedman <nat@helixcode.com> writes:

>     I didn't actually try it, so I didn't know that it already
> worked.  That's reassuring.  What was the problem in the local case?
> In the long term we need to fix those widgets.  They're just going to
> continue to cause us to lose sleep otherwise (the destruction
> semantics are *still broken!*).

I agree Plug/Socket need to be fixed eventually, in many ways.

The problem I ran into is that they assume all over the place that the
plug and socket are in different apps, and random things break when
that assumption does not hold. Owen said he thinks the right way to
fix the local case in Gtk+ is to make the plug and socket reduce to a
normal containment relation in the local case. This is kind of similar
to what I did on the Bonobo level, except doing it inside the widgets
themselves would be harder, and I was less confident of my ability to
get it right.

Also, Owen said it would be too big a change for 1.2, and while I
would like to fix it for 1.4, Gtk 1.4 is not something anyone can
count on for critical-path development right now.

Maybe we should come up with a list of things that are broken with
plug/socket and proposed ways to fix them, and see if the Gtk+
maintainers would be amenable to taking a patch to that effect. (I'm
reluctant to even start hacking Gtk+ itself without some degree of
pre-approval.)

 - Maciej