Re: monikers, gnome-vfs (again :-)

On 18 Dec 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Miguel de Icaza <miguel helixcode com> writes:
> > Something like that already exists.  But there is a problem on keeping
> > in sync the VFS prefixes registered in the moniker space.  For each
> > new prefix supported by the VFS you need to install an .oafinfo file.
> >
> > Or we need to extend bonobo.
>
> I'd love to add support to Bonobo to be able to have a single Moniker
> implementation handle more than one scheme.

	This is already 100% possible, simply sub-class BonoboMoniker and
implement the methods; bingo. This is not the problem per se; there are 2
problems, 1 is that the oafinfo activation assumes a string not a stringv
for 'bonobo:moniker' which denotes the prefix, and the 2nd problem is that
you don't know the prefixes until runtime. Problem 1 is a 1 line query
string change, + fiddle some oafinfo.

	The not knowing the prefixes problem is intractible with the
current setup, without adding a special hook for this case which sounds
ugly; it's possible there is a clean solution though.

> Also, the fact that gnome-vfs supports a runtime-dynamic set of
> schemes is tricky to handle in other parts of the system too. I
> suggest we use "(vfs)" or something as an alias for "all URI schemes
> that gnome-vfs knows how to handle", although in the case of monikers
> this leaves a parse-time issue of knowing when to let a vfs moniker
> (if present) do the parsing.

	This paragraph totaly bemused me; where is this alias '(vfs)'
defined ? who sees it ? what does it do ?