Re: monikers, gnome-vfs (again :-)

Miguel de Icaza <miguel helixcode com> writes:

> > Or does a gnome-vfs-moniker already exist?
>
> Something like that already exists.  But there is a problem on keeping
> in sync the VFS prefixes registered in the moniker space.  For each
> new prefix supported by the VFS you need to install an .oafinfo file.
>
> Or we need to extend bonobo.

Hi,

I'd love to add support to Bonobo to be able to have a single Moniker
implementation handle more than one scheme. Would a patch like that be
accepted? (Right now I believe one moniker can only possibly handle
one scheme - the change to do what I suggest is super simple, and
would be useful for things besides vfs, like having an uncompress
moniker that can handle both gzip: and bzip2: monikers, since so much
of the code would be in common).

Also, the fact that gnome-vfs supports a runtime-dynamic set of
schemes is tricky to handle in other parts of the system too. I
suggest we use "(vfs)" or something as an alias for "all URI schemes
that gnome-vfs knows how to handle", although in the case of monikers
this leaves a parse-time issue of knowing when to let a vfs moniker
(if present) do the parsing.

Regards,

Maciej