Re: Making components with C++

On 12 Dec 2000 09:22:14 +1100, Richard Andrews wrote:

> I'm starting to write components for use in a GNOME based system and I'll be using C++ a lot. I'm looking for advise about what is the best way to go about this.
>
> I've tried ORBit-cpp but it seems to be mostly vapour at the moment.
> I've had weird trouble linking gnorba into C++ (and I'm told that it's deprecated).
> I have a spaghetti maze of C and C++ code at the moment that I want to get rid of.
>
> What is the direction of the GNOME project with regard to C++? KDE seems to have good integration with C++ but I'd prefer to use GNOME if possible.

you should have a look at Bonobo-- (http://bonobomm.sourceforge.net),
which are a set of C++
bindings for Bonobo. I don't think it's usable yet, so you could maybe
help on it instead of trying
to deal yourself with C/C++ in your program

> What packages should I be using (that replace gnorba)?
> Where can I find helpful samples?

OAF is the replacement for GNORBA (module oaf in CVS)

> Can I do all this and still keep my stable GNOME-1.0 desktop intact?

maybe it's time you upgrade to 1.2, which has been out for months.

cheers