ORBit 0.5.4 and ORBitcpp

Sorry for the flood of questions today, but ...

Does anyone out there use ORBit-cpp?
The release notes say that ORBit-0.5.3 isn't sufficient to build ORBit-cpp-0.29 but there is reference to a tweaked version of ORBit-0.5.3 that works with ORBit-cpp.

Has anyone used this?
Can I install it alongside my existing GNOME-1.2 install or can I safely replace my existing ORB with ORBit-0.5.3 ?

Basically I don't want to have to upgrade my entire system (which is quite stable) just so I can start developing components in C++.

Thanks

Rich