Re: gnome-vfs dependency for bonobo (was gnome_mime vs. gnome_vfs_mime)

Michael Meeks <michael helixcode com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> >  We must get a critical mass where new software will automatically get
> > written for the GNOME platform. We must get free software onto
> > people's desktop.
>
>         Yes I totaly agree, we need to release Gnome 1.4 soon; I have
> missed the discussions on what is delaying it really.
>
> 	Can you tell me what the critical path for Gnome 1.4 is, I feel
> totaly in the dark about it, I have heard only rumour and speculation.

We need stable releases of all release-critical modules and a release
process that includes time for documentors, translators, and a beta
program. The GNOME 1.4 Release Team is working on comin up with a
proposal for a release plan. The current release-cricial modules that,
to my eye, need the most work to be ready are (in approximate order)

* Nautilus
* Bonobo
* gnome-print
* gnome-vfs
* medusa

In other words, pretty much the new modules that will be joining the
stable platform. I believe oaf, ammonite and gconf are more or less
shippable as-is, though it is possible things will pop up

Nautilus (and associated modules) are currently in hard feature freeze
and strict bug fix mode. We are definitely in a phase right now where
bugs are being fixed faster than they are being discovered.

The current time estimate we're giving out for GNOME 1.4 is end of
January, but newly discovered bugs, as well as time to get quality
docs and translations, may end up delaying that.

I'll send a post to gnome-1.4-list detailing the plans soon. I'm sorry
you did not feel well informed. I have been extremely hosed with
actual coding work, but keeping everyone informed is important.

In reality, I don't think the fact that the 1.2 and 1.4 schedules
slipped is a sign of disaster. Software schedules always slip. That's
one reason it's important to plan for an agressive release schedule -
no matter what you plan at first, things will take longer.

Regards,

Maciej