Re: gnome-vfs dependency for bonobo (was gnome_mime vs. gnome_vfs_mime)

Hi George,

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, George wrote:
> I just don't want GNOME to end up like Hurd, which by the time it will
> be usable by end users will be old and obscolete technology.  Do you
> think Linux is doing things perfectly?  Naaah.  It's actually quite
> crappy.  Yet it's getting better incrementally.

        The thing is, you don't get better incrementaly if you go in the
wrong direction, you get worse. Monikers are the right direction for all
API's to move in.

> I would do so many things differently if designing gnome from scratch
> again. But we do not have this luxury.  I hope that in like 10 years
> I'll start work on a competitor to GNOME which will do things the
> "RightWay(tm)".

        The thing is that we both totaly agree on this issue as well. You
see, my argument is not that

        "we should never ship",

my argument is
        "we should not encourage people to develop in the wrong direction"

        I don't imagine any solution we put out is ever going to be
perfect, however I see no shame in aiming towards that. Perhaps this all
got blown out of proportion somewhere.

> I'm also looking at this from a perspective of free software.  We MUST
> build something that is usable by end users asap.

        Yes of course.

> We must also notice that we are in competition with the rest of any
> desktop software, be it kde, windows, macos, whatever...  people will
> not use us if the stable release will always be obscolete because our
> release cycles are too long.

        Of course.