Re: Dumb moniker questions (was Re: Bonobo dependencies ...)

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 06:14:20AM -0500, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Vlad,
>
> > However; most monikers do set_name in the parse_display_name, and then
> > get_name in the resolve handler; the monikers then tend to use
> > get_name as the actual name (i.e. file).
>
>         The get_name / set_name semantics are merely some bolierplate code
> that I added to help simplify the creation of monikers, their semantics
> should be what is most useful for implementors. I think the following
> semantics are most useful:
>
>         set_name - unescapes name and stores in priv->name
>         get_name - returns unescaped name
>
>         get_escaped_name - returnes re-escaped name
>         default_get_display_name - uses get_escaped_name

Sounds good. I'll implement get_escaped_name and change
default_get_display_name to use it; I didn't want to check in just
the escaping code, since by itself it helps nothing, if the
set/get semantics aren't changed -- anyone who doesn't use them will
have to deal with escaping themselves. I might add a utility function
to escape/unescape any string for convenience as well.

>         No moniker has to use set / get name at all, they can
> implement all this functionality themselfs in a totaly free form way; all
> non-C monikers will have to do this anyway.

I misspoke (mistyped? :-); I should have said that moniker developers
will have to be aware that they'll have to do unescaping themselves
if they don't use set/get name.

I'll post another patch as soon as I do this.

	- Vlad