Re: Dumb moniker questions (was Re: Bonobo dependencies ...)

Hi Vlad,

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> Would it really be this simple? I have a hack in my local
> bonobo_moniker_util_seek_std_separator to do escaping:

        Yes.

> However; most monikers do set_name in the parse_display_name, and then
> get_name in the resolve handler; the monikers then tend to use
> get_name as the actual name (i.e. file).

        The get_name / set_name semantics are merely some bolierplate code
that I added to help simplify the creation of monikers, their semantics
should be what is most useful for implementors. I think the following
semantics are most useful:

        set_name - unescapes name and stores in priv->name
        get_name - returns unescaped name

        get_escaped_name - returnes re-escaped name
        default_get_display_name - uses get_escaped_name

        Since the latter two functions will only really be used in the
default implementation of get_display_name I think this will keep the
API simple and clean.

> One way to do this would be to have set_name take the name with the
> escapes, and have get_name return a string after escaping -- however,
> this would mean that all monikers would have to use set/get name.

        No moniker has to use set / get name at all, they can
implement all this functionality themselfs in a totaly free form way; all
non-C monikers will have to do this anyway.