Re: Problems with the Stream interface

Dave Scott <dave@recoil.org> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 05:28:25PM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> >
> > I have a proposal for how to solve this problem. Essentially, we need
> > to make the Stream interface asynchronous by design.
> >
> There is another possibility which might fix this problem. The "CORBA
> Messaging" spec describes a way of making async calls from a client on an
> unmodified server, with all the added complexity handled on the client side.

Dave,

That sounds cool, but it actually solves the wrong end of the
problem. :-)

The problem with syncrhonicity of the Stream interface is a problem
for Stream _servers_, not for Stream _clients_. Ideally, the server
implementing the stream would like to be able to call back later when
the data is ready, rather than having to block so it can return the
value from the skeleton implementation.

 - Maciej