Re: Bonobo 0.1 release plans.

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Because not all things that have those three methods are bonobo
> > components, just like not all COM objects are COMponents.
>
> Well, the idea of having query_interface there is calling for the
> thing to be a component all in itself: it means that you can query the
> object to figure out whether it support one or more "plugs" or
> interfaces that people can connect to.

Nod, but I usually think of a component as an object that implements an
interface that can do useful work. This GNOME::obj interface is just for
utility purposes.

> > I want to use GNOME::obj for lots of other stuff totally unrelated to
> > bonobo or components, because the interface is useful as part of almost
> > all CORBA interfaces, many of which shouldn't really be called components.
>
> Ok, if you feel so strong about this, I suggest using "GNOME::unknown"
> for the interface then.

It's no big deal (except being longer to type :-), but I did want to make
it clear that this interface is going to be used in a lot more places than
Bonobo components.

-- Elliot
You're not being rude. I'm just a moron.