Re: ORBit server question

[deleted]

>> Also is the ORBit server code thread safe? I'd like to make a MT
>> server, becuase some operations can last quite some time, so the
>> other clients will be not served during this time.

el> It is _supposed_ to be thread safe if you compile it with
el> -D_REENTRANT in the CFLAGS, but I have not tested it, and I can
el> think of a lot of places where it isn't thread-safe. Any help you
el> can lend in this area would definitely be appreciated!

el> For your specific case, you could just use oneway operations,
el> which don't have this "wait for reply" problem.

That's not what i want. I don't care about clients blocking upon their
own requests (for now). I do care about clients blocking, because the
server is busy working on a request from another client (deny of
service attacks come to my mind). Also operations can really last a
long time because it's used for DB accesses and a query can run for
quite a time to produce the results wanted.

el> -- Elliot Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has
el> evolved from smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb
el> people in front of smart terminals.  -- obs@burnout.demon.co.uk