Re: security and multi-user

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> GNOME is going to use CORBA in at least two domains: as a way to
> export the functionality of application to the rest of the desktop
> (think of it as new APIs) and it will form the base of the component
> model.  Both of those can be used without having the servers listen to
> a network port and control permission with regular UNIX permission
> bits.

How do you handle 2 people using gome on the same machine at the same
time?  You start up two of everything pointing to something like
/tmp/gnome/amundson-socket and /tmp/gnome/miguel-socket?

> > Well, the system call crypt() is obviously useless for this type of
> > stuff... When I write cryptit() and uncrypt() I mean DES/Idea or some
> > other key exchange system.
>
> You can not export strong crypto out of the USA.

I believe there are libraries to link against outside the US however...
No one said anything about including the crypto.  My assumptions are
you grab your crypto lib and 'plug' that in (at compile time) to the
cryptit() uncrypt() routines, etc, etc.  The built in method could be
char* cryptit(char *key, char *val) { return strdup(val); }.

--
Shawn T. Amundson
amundson@gimp.org               http://www.gimp.org/~amundson

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking