Re: component architecture

Jason> I have some questions for you about the Event Service.  At a
Jason> time when I actually had some time I read through alot of stuff
Jason> about it.  I guess my main question is will there be one event
Jason> channel per user or one main gnome event channel for a machine
Jason> that multiple users use.

I think we don't want to enter the multi-user area at all.  The very
last thing I want to see is a CERT advisory for any part of Gnome.
(Of course, we don't really have a security story at all for MICO
(that I know of).  So we're already behind...)

So I was picturing a single event manager per "session" -- without
real reference to either users or machines.  The justification here is
(1) tying this to something like the X server is ok, since we are
writing a desktop, and (2) we probably want to somehow support people
who do "su xxx; some-gnome-program".

Jason> There is the yet-to-be-an-official-standard Notification
Jason> Service that will supply this as an extension of the Event
Jason> Service.

I wasn't aware of this.  Gack, there are too many Services.

Anyway, filtering is a simple and logical extension to the Event
Service.  I'm ambivalent as to whether we supply filtering now or
later.

Jason> One other question, I've seen people mention things about
Jason> having a favorite editor or browser or whatever.  Couldn't this
Jason> be implemented using the Trader Service (which someone is
Jason> working on for mico).

Sounds good to me, provided somebody else writes it.  I looked at the
Trader Service briefly.  The spec is 100 pages, which seems rather
excessive.

I do worry that the standard CORBA Services are too bloated.  I don't
want Gnome to be a pig just by virtue of following CORBA.  If it comes
down to a choice between CORBA standards and speed (where it is
important, of course), I'd have to choose speed.

Tom