Re: rms contact

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Gleef wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, David [iso-8859-1] Martínez Oliveira wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe this isn't the best place for this request, but upto the momment I
> > > don't know any other.
> > >
> > > I´m talking with Richard Stallman at GNU about EDMA, and in a message I
> > > told him to follow the ORBit's development for make it work with EDMA.
> >
> > What is EDMA?
>
> EDMA is a component object model system that Mr. Oliveira has been working
> on for a while.  It has a webpage (in Spanish only), I don't recall the
> URL, but it is in the archives of gnome-components-list (just search for
> EDMA).
>
> In discussions between Mr. Oliveira and RMS, RMS suggested that since EDMA
> was free component software, that it might be a good idea to work with us.
> In discussions between Mr. Oliveira and I (on this list), I suggested
> that in order for EDMA to work well with GNOME, it would have to talk
> CORBA, probably using DII.  I don't know how implementation-specific DII
> is, but it would definitely need to know how to talk to ORBit, and
> possibly Mico as well.
>
> The way I see it, if he can pull off an EDMA-CORBA bridge, that will give
> programmers another option that will stay within the GNOME/CORBA specs.
> Looking at EDMA, it seems best suited for a single complicated application
> that needs various elements interacting.  It may offer advantages over
> straight CORBA for certain developers, and it certainly won't detract from
> CORBA for the rest of us.

i hope this EDMA has a *very* small memory footprint. to run the panel,
we'd need EDMA, ORBit, plus the panel itself. it's bloated right now with
just the panel and mico. would adding another application be a good idea?
|        / |/ /_ __/ /_____         |       Nuke Skyjumper               |
|       /    / // /  '_/ -_)        |         "Master of the Farce"      |