Re: ORBit mail 3 - Vtable layouts

Phil Dawes wrote:

> Owen Taylor wrote:
> >
> > To my understanding, COM is quite poorly designed for
> > multiple-language use.
> >

> I'd be interested in knowing why. Plenty of languages can speak COM
> (C++, C, VB, TCL, python). Most of these languages talk through
> IDispatch (a bit like DSI). AFAIK The python version can talk through
> IDispatch or directly through the vtables.

I may have been getting confused here. I think PythonCOM uses
static-Dispatch, which is where the python interface is generated from
typelibrary information (allowing some degree of type checking on the
python end), but ultimately uses IDispatch (dsi) to dispatch the
operation invocation.

If you need to use custom interfaces directly in python I think you have
to use a new extension to SWiG to generate the COM-C++ marshalling code.

(all this AFAIK)

Cheers,

Phil.

 Phil Dawes                               |   My opinions are my own
 WWW:    err.. temporarily non-existant   |   and nothing to do with
 Email:  philipd@parallax.co.uk           |      my employer.