Re: CORBA versioning (was Re: GNOME & KOM/OP)

On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 03:47:39PM +0100, Phil Dawes wrote:

> Unfortunately this is where I think corba breaks down. Repo IDs do allow
> you to specify version information, but AFAIK how to use them isn't
> actually specified. SOM provided some version control, but I think this

It is, you do "#pragma version"

> As a quick scratch idea on versioning, we could probably model our
> component versioning on the COM model by specifying the version info in
> the repoid
>
> 	IDL:namespace/name:version
> 		(e.g. IDL:foos/afoo:1.3)

The IDL RepoID already hold the version info (in the exact same way as you
suggest above)

> and then try and inforce the 'if you must change an interface then give
> it a new version' rule. This could be done through the interface
> repository explicitly matching version numbers with interfaces (which I
> think the spec probably requires anyway).

This is a project management issue. The spec also states that minor version
number changes signify additions, such that a previous minor version of the
interface can still be used with a later version object:

Section 8.6.1, p8-31

The third component is made up of major and minor version numbers, in decimal
format, separated by a ".". When two interfaces have RepositoryIds differing
only in minor version number it can be assumed that the definition with the
higher version number is upwardly compatible with (i.e., can be treated as
derived from) the one with the lower minor version number.

> Phil.

- Dick