Re: gui for gcm missing?

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Simon Harhues <Simon Harhues muenster de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started to dig into color management. I'm running Lubuntu 11.10

You might want to consider using my PPA, to get more up to date
versions (which fixes some bugs):

https://launchpad.net/~pmjdebruijn/+archive/gcm-colorhug

> and thought, that gcm could be a nice front end for colord (I'm not
> aware of a native gui app for LXDE). So I installed gcm (package:
> 3.2.0-ubuntu1) via Synaptic. But also after rebooting it doesn't appear
> in my menu. Thus I was looking for command line tools to start the gui
> manually.

Doesn't LXDE support .desktop files?

/usr/share/applications/gcm-import.desktop
/usr/share/applications/gcm-viewer.desktop
/usr/share/applications/gcm-picker.desktop
/usr/share/applications/gcm-calibrate.desktop

> But I'm only able to run "gcm-viewer" successfully to watch my
> ICC-profiles. There I can have a look at all the files and its
> attributes. That's all, I think.
> If I want to run "gcm-picker" it tells me, that no color-sensor is
> attached, which is true (I don't own one).
> If I want to run "gcm-calibrate" it complains that I didn't specify a
> device. Well, that's true again, but I don't know how to do it and what
> device it is asking for... (the man page is not that long[1] and as I
> said, original I was looking for a nice gui app).
> If I run "gcm-import" I get a graphical pop up telling me that I didn't
> specify a file name. That's also true, but what file should I specify? I
> mean, what will happen to this file... Should I point it to my
> ICC-files, or are they yet imported, because I can see them in
> "gcm-viewer"? The man page is in addition not very helpful for me.
> "gcm-inspect" is exiting without any message at all.
> And I'm totally missing "gcm-prefs" that is named at various places on
> the net.

gcm-prefs was GCM 2.x, new distro have GCM 3.x

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn