Re: gui for gcm missing?

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I'm a little busy atm...

My goal is to attach the right (default) color profiles to my displays,
and to my printer in Lubuntu 11.10. (Just want to use the profiles of
the devices, included with the drivers. I don't own a tool for
calibrating the devices myself.)

Am 08.01.2012 21:33, schrieb Richard Hughes:
> [...]
> I've outlined the simple things a session color management component
> needs to do here:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/colord/faq.html#gcm
>
> colord doesn't actually have any config files to setup the mapping,
> instead it uses a couple of databases to store all the mapping
> attributes and values. To modify this, the easiest way is to either
> use the DBus interface, or the colormgr command line client.

As I don't have any experience with programming with DBus, I think I'd
go for a simple shell script that runs at every login and uses the
command line client functions of colormgr.

I noticed that colormgr knows my printer(s) and my internal web cam, but
neither my laptop LCD nor my external display (Is that like it should be?):

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr get-devices | grep "Device ID"
Device ID:      sysfs-Chicony_Electronics_Co.__Ltd.-Integrated_Camera
Device ID:      cups-Brother-MFC-7420
Device ID:      cups-HP-Color-LaserJet-CM1312-MFP
Device ID:      cups-HP-Photosmart-D6100-series

So to follow the steps at the colord faq[0]: You named the point
* Call CreateDevice for each connected XRandR screen and watch for
changes to the screen.
on the website first, thus I think I first of all have to create a
device for colord. I don't know how I get all connected devices of
XRandR. I get a lot of information with "xrandr --verbose". What is
their identifier I should use to distinguish and to select them? But as
I normally use my external "LG Flatron W2442PA" or my internal thinkpad
x220 display, as a first step I may make it less flexible here and just
do it for this two devices. First try:

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr create-device
Not enough arguments, expected device id, scope e.g. 'epson-stylus-800 disk'

So my device Id would maybe something like "LG-Flatron-W2442PA" for my
external monitor. But what's the scope? I found the DBus interface
documentation[1], where "normal", "temp" and "disk" are named as
examples. Are there more, and which one to choose? (Is there a manual
where I can look such questions up?)
I tried it with "temp", it seems to look good so far:

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr create-device LG-Flatron-W2442PA temp
Created device:
Object Path:    /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/LG_Flatron_W2442PA
Owner:          simon
Created:        Februar  5 2012, 05:05:22
Modified:       Februar  5 2012, 05:05:22
Typ:            unknown
Model:
Hersteller:
Serial:
Scope:          temp
Colorspace:     unknown
Device ID:      LG-Flatron-W2442PA
Metadata:       CMS=colord

Now I probably can use "colormgr device-set-kind" and so on to add more
properties. Again, is there anywhere a documentation describing the
properties and its valid values?
According to the list at the website the next step is to create an ICC
profile:
* Create an ICC profile file for each XRandR device using the EDID
primary information and store it in the home directory.
I downloaded an icm-file of the windows drivers from the website of
LG[2]. If I have a look at the icm-file with gcm-viewer it says "color
space: rgb". Thus to create a profile I tried:

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr create-profile LG-Flatron-W2442PA-rgb temp
Created profile:
Object Path:
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/LG_Flatron_W2442PA_rgb
Owner:          simon
Scope:          temp
Gamma Table:    No
Filename:       (null)
Profile ID:     LG-Flatron-W2442PA-rgb

How should I have used the EDID information to create it? I believe now
I would have to attach the icm-file to the profile. I tried this:

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr profile-set-filename
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/LG_Flatron_W2442PA_rgb
/usr/share/color/icc/W2442.icm
Failed to connect to missing profile
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/LG_Flatron_W2442PA_rgb

What's the problem here? I thought I created the profile with this
object path using the last command before.
Later on I noticed, that there yet seems to be a profile for the
icm-file of my LG monitor:

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr find-profile-by-filename
/usr/share/color/icc/W2442.icm
Object Path:
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/icc_95ad0b6245162be59d60f1f12bad74f9
Owner:          root
Format:         ColorSpace..
Qualifier:      RGB..
Typ:            display-device
Colorspace:     rgb
Gamma Table:    Yes
Filename:       /usr/share/color/icc/W2442.icm
Profile ID:     icc-95ad0b6245162be59d60f1f12bad74f9

So probably I should use this one. I tried it by using following command:

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr device-add-profile
Not enough arguments, expected device path, profile path e.g.
'/org/device/foo /org/profile/bar'
simon@laptop:~$ colormgr device-add-profile
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/LG_Flatron_W2442PA
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/icc_95ad0b6245162be59d60f1f12bad74f9
Failed to connect to missing device
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/LG_Flatron_W2442PA

Well, I created this device some commands ago, I thought... And still
the point of connecting the physical monitor/xrandr device to my colord
device is unsolved. How to do this?

Can you give me a hint, what's going wrong here? Or maybe describe the
process as you have intended to use it with a little example shell code
or some more words? I'm not sure if I understood everything correct at
the faq (and don't know how to translate it into code).

A question regarding the printer: As I'm using cups (1.5.0-8ubuntu6),
there is nothing more to do, is it? Or do I need an extra session color
management for it to? I'm wondering how I can find out if my printer is
using a(/the right) profile for printing. I got the following output:

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr find-device 'cups-HP-Photosmart-D6100-series'
Object Path:
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_HP_Photosmart_D6100_series
Owner:          root
Created:        Februar  5 2012, 11:40:15
Modified:       Februar  5 2012, 11:40:15
Typ:            printer
Model:          HP Photosmart d6100 Series
Hersteller:     Hewlett Packard
Serial:         hp:/usb/Photosmart_D6100_series?serial=MY758G115N04SH
Format:         ColorSpace.MediaType.
Scope:          temp
Colorspace:     rgb
Device ID:      cups-HP-Photosmart-D6100-series
Profile 1:
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/HP_Photosmart_D6100_series_RGB__
Profile 2:
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/HP_Photosmart_D6100_series_Gray__
Metadata:       CMS=colord

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr device-get-default-profile
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_HP_Photosmart_D6100_series
Object Path:
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/HP_Photosmart_D6100_series_RGB__
Owner:          root
Format:         ColorSpace.MediaType.
Qualifier:      RGB..
Colorspace:     rgb
Scope:          temp
Gamma Table:    No
Filename:       (null)
Profile ID:     HP-Photosmart-D6100-series-RGB..

simon@laptop:~$ colormgr find-profile 'HP-Photosmart-D6100-series-RGB..'
Object Path:
/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/HP_Photosmart_D6100_series_RGB__
Owner:          root
Format:         ColorSpace.MediaType.
Qualifier:      RGB..
Colorspace:     rgb
Scope:          temp
Gamma Table:    No
Filename:       (null)
Profile ID:     HP-Photosmart-D6100-series-RGB..

Sorry for this longer mail, there are lots of new thing to explorer and
to try out for me here.

Many thanks for your help,
Simon

[0] http://www.freedesktop.org/software/colord/faq.html#gcm
[1]
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/colord/gtk-doc/Device.html#Device:Scope
[2] tab "Support", download zip file "Windows7 Treiber"
http://www.lg.com/de/it-produkte/monitore/LG-W2442PA.jsp