Re: Unable to start calibration process

On 7 February 2011 09:37, Gys van Zyl <gysvanzyl gmail com> wrote:
> message that says "Failed to execute child process "-v9" (No such file or
> directory)"):

Argllcms tools used to do really crazy things to argv and (still) do
random console ioctls, and hence have to be run in a real VTE widget.

Argylcms was updated recently to no longer do the crazy argv[0]
munging, but now fixing GPM to work with the new versions of argyll
actually breaks using GCM with the older version. You can see the code
here:

ret = vte_terminal_fork_command_full (VTE_TERMINAL(priv->terminal),
				      VTE_PTY_DEFAULT,
				      working_directory,
				      argv, (gchar**)envp,
#ifdef FIXED_ARGYLL
				      0,
#else
				      G_SPAWN_FILE_AND_ARGV_ZERO,
#endif
				      NULL, NULL,
				      &priv->child_pid, error);
if (!ret)
	goto out;

Where the define means:

G_SPAWN_FILE_AND_ARGV_ZERO: the first element of argv is the file to
execute, while the remaining elements are the actual argument vector
to pass to the file. Normally g_spawn_async_with_pipes() uses argv[0]
as the file to execute, and passes all of argv to the child.

So it looks like we probably have to somehow version check and enable
one code path or the other for old and new versions of argyllcms at
*runtime*.

If you want a quick fix, either:

* rebuild gnome-color-manager with #define FIXED_ARGYLL commented out
in src/gcm-calibrate-argyll.c

* update the system version of argyll, if it's packaged for your distribution

If anybody wants to do the detective work to work out if we have an
installed argyll needing the G_SPAWN_FILE_AND_ARGV_ZERO quirk I would
be glad to test and work on a patch.

Thanks,

Richard.