Deleted screen never reappears in GCM device panel

Vivien Perez vivien.perez at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 20:02:42 UTC 2010

Good evening Richard,

and thanks for your time.

I deleted the screen by using the Remove button in the Device panel. I'm
using the ATI driver (fglrx 2:8.780-0ubuntu2).

I found the device-profiles.conf file, but it is empty, though I can add
a printer, a camera or a scanner via the GUI.

I noticed that running "gcm-prefs -v" in a terminal gave an error
message related to my screen's edid:
/TI:21:49:53.860823    FI:gcm-client.c    FN:gcm_client_xrandr_add,607
  - failed to set for output: failed to parse edid/

Then I tried "gcm-dump-edid", which gave me the same error:
/Impossible d'analyser le contenu EDID: failed to parse header
/
When reading the bin file produced by this command, here is what I got:
ȯ>yȯ>y/3
x*TL�&PT��@�����@qO�:�q8- at X,E�
�8K
       �SyncMaster
   �H9XSB02945
which obviously look weird.

I suspected my screen edid to be corrupted, but "get-edid | parse-edid "
gives me a correct output:
/vivien at Fixe:~$ sudo get-edid | parse-edid
parse-edid: parse-edid version 2.0.0
get-edid: get-edid version 2.0.0

     Performing real mode VBE call
     Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f00 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
     Function supported
     Call successful

     VBE version 300
     VBE string at 0xc01f0 "ATI ATOMBIOS"

VBE/DDC service about to be called
     Report DDC capabilities

     Performing real mode VBE call
     Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x0 cx=0x0
     Function supported
     Call successful

     Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC1 transfers
     Monitor and video card combination supports DDC2 transfers
     0 seconds per 128 byte EDID block transfer
     Screen is not blanked during DDC transfer

Reading next EDID block

VBE/DDC service about to be called
     Read EDID

     Performing real mode VBE call
     Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
     Function supported
     Call successful

parse-edid: EDID checksum passed.

     # EDID version 1 revision 3
Section "Monitor"
     # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
     # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
     Identifier "SyncMaster"
     VendorName "SAM"
     ModelName "SyncMaster"
     # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
     HorizSync 30-81
     VertRefresh 56-75
     # Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 170 MHz
     # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
     # Block type: 2:0 3:ff
     # DPMS capabilities: Active off:yes  Suspend:no  Standby:no

     Mode     "1920x1080"    # vfreq 60.000Hz, hfreq 67.500kHz
         DotClock    148.500000
         HTimings    1920 2008 2052 2200
         VTimings    1080 1084 1089 1125
         Flags    "+HSync" "+VSync"
     EndMode
     # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
     # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
     # Block type: 2:0 3:ff
EndSection/

So I'm wondering whether my problem could be related to this edid issue.

Will gcm correctly detect my screen if I manually specify it in the
device-profiles.conf file?

Thanks for your help,

Vivien