Re: Nagging the user to recalibrate?

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> If the user has created a custom display, printer or camera profile,
> should be remind them to re-profile once every six months?

Possibly... But this should be configurable, and it should be easy to
turn off...

It should probably integrate with this:

  http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/253

I'm assuming the API (DBUS?) is generic, and each distro has it's own
visualisation...

OR, maybe plan a Task in Evolution? This is probably too nasty...

> _________________________
> |
> |  Calibration required
> |
> |  The device "Nikon D60" has not been calbrated recently.
> |
> | [ Ignore ] [ Recalibrate now ]
> |________________________

I don't really think camera's need to be recalibrated regularly at
all... So these should probably be excluded...

Scanners probably do, because they have a backlight that ages... But
since scanner use is usually intermittent for most users, I doubt this
will be needed for the most common scanner users... So maybe we should
exclude these as well...

CRTs/LCDs obviously do need to be recalibrated, 6 months seems like a
good default... I never notice a difference when I recalibrate on a
monthly basis... Though my LCD isn't on for 10 hours a day... probably
more like 5...

And then we have printers... Printer calibration should probably be
redone on every new set of ink, instead of timebased... This would
probably be hard to detect (reliably), but sticking to time based
notifications isn't a decent replacement, so I guess we should exclude
these as well...

So CRTs/LCDs are probably the only kind of device for which a time
based notification unambiguously has merit...

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn