Re: Color management in ubuntu

On 1 July 2010 18:25, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> I've been experimenting with GLSL shaders, and doing the color
> conversion in hardware on the GPU. We've hit a few stumbing blocks in
> clutter, but I'm adding API to clutter where required. Using the
> hardware allows us to do lots of clever interpolation in 3D to make
> things super sweet. Without using GPU hardware it's quite hard to
> process high-def video at normal frame rates.

Thanks to Neil Roberts who has added the required 3D texture support
to clutter, I've got a mutter tree on my system that does full screen
color management with a simple shader on the GPU. I've also added some
demo code to GCM, although it's a standalone program and needs the
cogl-texture-3d branch of clutter installed to even compile.

Now, I have to fix the remaining bugs in mutter to enable this stuff,
and then we have to work out how to mask bits of windows that are
already color managed. Net color spec already exists, but isn't very
friendly to a composited desktop that isn't compiz, i.e. not rendering
to a flat rectangle of pixels. It's also not very toolkit friendly.

Richard.