Reverse engineering the Huey

If anyone is interested in reverse engineering the HUEY colorimeter,
we hang out in #gnome-color-manager on GIMPnet. It would be
interesting to talk to you. I need people to write specifications and
help out documenting the hardware. You don't have to be a color legend
or an embedded developer, you just have to have a lot of patience and
a bit of spare time. We're 90% complete, but I want the driver to be
at least as good as the argyll driver for the next release.

Doing a native driver (rather than using argyll) allows us to include
the sensor calibration code as part of an LGPLv2+ library, so it can
be used by lots of tools other than GCM. A native driver also allows
us to do device queries threaded or attached to a mainloop, which
means we can make GUIs that don't block or require an embedded VTE
widget or X window. I don't plan on making many native drivers, as we
can always fall back to the argyll driver for less-common hardware.
The colormunki is certainly an order of magnitude more complex than
the huey, although it's probably the next bit of hardware I'll attempt
(and that I only own two colorimeter devices).

Thanks,

Richard.