Re: Profile description for laptop displays

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> 2009/11/29 Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn pcode nl>:
>> I noticed you included the product_version as well, at least on my
>> laptop it's actually the BIOS revision, I'm not sure what this is on
>> other laptops. It's probably not that relevant...
>
> Hmm, it seems the manufacturers were in a rush when they designed your
> laptop! The bios version, logically, belongs in bios_version :-)
>
> Could you attach the output of "cat /sys/class/dmi/id/*" and we'll try
> and work around bios issues like this. Thanks.

It's attached.

>> I noticed you're currently filling the ICC Make with the username, it
>> seems rather redundant with the copyright. Besides the point that the
>> field wasn't ment to be used like that. I'd stick the EDID info there
>> (even with laptops). For the Model field as well, EDID is most likely
>> best and most accurate here.
>
> I deliberately changed it, as the vendor is supposed to be the person
> or company that designed or created the profile. In this sense, it
> seemed wrong to say that the profile was created "by Lenovo" when it
> was created by me, for my Lenovo display.

The ICCv2 specification disagrees:

6.4.15 deviceMfgDescTag
Tag Type: textDescriptionType
Tag Signature: ‘dmnd’ (646D6E64h)
Structure containing invariant and localizable versions of the device
manufacturer for display. The content of this structure is described
in 6.5.17.

6.4.16 deviceModelDescTag
Tag Type: textDescriptionType
Tag Signature: ‘dmdd’ (646D6464h)
Structure containing invariant and localizable versions of the device
model for display. The content of this structure is described in
6.5.17.

>> For example:
>>
>> Make: SEC (don't lookup in pnp.ids for storage in the ICC profile,
>> only lookup in the gcm-prefs GUI).
>> Model: 154AT07-H01
>>
>> Storing the EDID info as verbatim as possible in the ICC make/models
>> fields, will make it easier to auto match displays and profiles in the
>> future.
>
> Hmm, I think the fields have to be displayable. We need to look at
> adding private fields if we want to add any machine parsable data into
> the ICC file.
>
>> Storing the EDID verbatim without looking up in pnp.ids prevents false
>> data from conflicting lookups (like my Samsung/Seiko issue) from
>> ending up in the profile itself.
>
> I think the lookup is valuable as it works most of the time. Your
> panel should have encoded SAM into the PNP field, not SEC, unless of
> course the panel really is a Seiko panel that's been rebadged as a
> Samsung. For what it's worth, my nice expensive LG panel is actually a
> generic Goldstar chipset with LG additions and plastic wrapping.
> Hence, it shows up as "Goldstar" as the vendor. :-(

I'm not saying my laptop's EDID info is not semi-broken...

But translating SEC into Seiko for embedding in the profile, is moving
from semi-wrong to completely-wrong...

And I'm afraid my laptop isn't the only one having this or similar
issues. I do wonder how Samsung's own brand sold displays identify
themselves.

I wish we had some more EDID samples to compare... Maybe a call for
sample EDID data on Planet GNOME would get us some more samples?

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn
/sys/class/dmi/id/bios_date
03/12/2009
/sys/class/dmi/id/bios_vendor
Hewlett-Packard
/sys/class/dmi/id/bios_version
68PZU Ver. F.0C
/sys/class/dmi/id/board_asset_tag

/sys/class/dmi/id/board_name
30E8
/sys/class/dmi/id/board_serial

/sys/class/dmi/id/board_vendor
Hewlett-Packard
/sys/class/dmi/id/board_version
KBC Version 94.1C
/sys/class/dmi/id/chassis_asset_tag
CNU9100JZH
/sys/class/dmi/id/chassis_serial
CNU9100JZH
/sys/class/dmi/id/chassis_type
10
/sys/class/dmi/id/chassis_vendor
Hewlett-Packard
/sys/class/dmi/id/chassis_version

/sys/class/dmi/id/modalias
dmi:bvnHewlett-Packard:bvr68PZUVer.F.0C:bd03/12/2009:svnHewlett-Packard:pnHPCompaq6730s:pvrF.0C:rvnHewlett-Packard:rn30E8:rvrKBCVersion94.1C:cvnHewlett-Packard:ct10:cvr:
/sys/class/dmi/id/power
cat: /sys/class/dmi/id/power: Is a directory
/sys/class/dmi/id/product_name
HP Compaq 6730s
/sys/class/dmi/id/product_serial
CNU9100JZH
/sys/class/dmi/id/product_uuid
4377676E-D605-DE11-B150-80487F19A84A
/sys/class/dmi/id/product_version
F.0C
/sys/class/dmi/id/subsystem
cat: /sys/class/dmi/id/subsystem: Is a directory
/sys/class/dmi/id/sys_vendor
Hewlett-Packard
/sys/class/dmi/id/uevent