how to remove HAL

Hi All,
       As we know, HAL is not used by Xorg for output devices or any other devices,so I want to remove it completely,I set USE="-hal" in /etc/make.conf ,and recompile  the packages, and also modify  /etc/conf.d/xdm with NEED_HALD="no" ,exec rc-update del hal default .All things goes well ,yesterday,I use emerge to update my world ,in the list still has a hal package, I don't know why system sitll emerge hal? maybe dependence ,but I use 'equery d hal' and  check packages which depend HAL ,have no idea ,any Suggestions?

best regards,
samnew