Re: Idea for GSoC 2013

Hi,
 I'm Suraj, an engg. undergrad from India.
Hi Suraj,

I have an idea for developing an interactive application (particularly aimed at school and college students) that implements mathematical problem solving and graphing. I wish for the following features:

1. Simultaneous equation solving
2. Solving optimization problems
3. Matrix operations
4. Solving calculus based problems
5. Graphing for above functions
6. Integration with word processors for report generation
gnome-calculator (previously known as gcalctool) is not a right project to implement these stuff. gnome-calculator's primary objective is to be a small desktop calculator, which can perform all basic calculations. I'm not sure about the points 1 through 4, but gnumerics might be relevant project for idea 5 and 6 (not entirely sure though)..

The primary feature would be to provide a good responsive GUI, with features like providing a system for user to input equations either using a graphical keyboard utility or asking them to enter notations which are displayed the way we write them usually, for ex. while typing 'x^2 + y^2', the terms would automatically displayed in the input bar the way we write on paper( it can't be shown here).
If you want such a tool, I suggest you to have a look at some of the already available projects first..

E.g. Sage [1] is a good project which might be interested in implementing those features. :)
And as far as GSoC is considered, Sage was part of GSoC 2012 [2].

I had sent the above proposal to gnome-mailing list where I was told to contact 'gnumeric', 'gcalctool' and other related GNOME modules that work on ideas related to my proposal.
PS: Please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong place.

I hope this helps.

[1] : http://www.sagemath.org/index.html
[2] : http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/sage

--