Re: Deprecated Modules (as per minutes of the 2009-08-03 meeting)

Am Dienstag, den 10.08.2010, 15:53 +0200 schrieb Tobias Mueller:
> So following our decision I propose the following actions:
> 	• Write to d-d-l (and gnome-hackers?) that we are about to get
> 	  rid of the bugs and that we will close them with the status
> 	  whiteboard entry "obsolete-module-2010". And let them know
> 	  that if anybody cares (i.e. distros), they should get the
> 	  data soonish.

This again brings up the question how to handle deprecated and dead
modules in upstream (e.g. gnome-vfs) that are still shipped (and
fixed/"maintained") in long-term support downstream distributions.
Maybe we (err... any volunteer?) should ask on distributor-list@ if
there are ideas/plans how to handle this.

> 	• Wait 14 days
> 	• Optional: Mark module so that it does not accept any news bugs
> 	• Mark bugs as NEEDINFO with the following text;
This module is
> 	  obsolete by now. Please check whether this bug is still valid
>  	  against the module that obsoleted this one.

How are we talking to in this text? The reporter?
"Please check" requires technical knowledge, and at least for low level
libraries I can imagine that many reports were moved there by a triager
or developer from the original application that the reporter had filed
the report (incorrectly) against.
Hence I have doubts that this will work out in case of staying vague
("the module that obsoleted this one"), plus it might create quite some
confusion for modules that simply have no successor.

> 	• Close as OBSOLETE with the status whiteboard set to
> 	  "obsolete-module-2010".
> 	• Wait >2 weeks
> 	• Delete the module from bugzilla
>
> The last point is debatable. But for now, I don't feel bad about
> deleting them. I don't feel that there is much history to be preserved
> in keeping the (empty and inactive) module around.

But the module is not empty if you have closed its bug reports as
OBSOLETE.
So you want to delete bug reports? I think that is a bad idea.

> http://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad/DeprecatedModules

On a related note, a list of modules in GNOME Bugzilla with the Result
being either "0" or "∞" for
  New entries filed in last 2 years
divided by
  Marked as RESOLVED WONTFIX/FIXED in the last two years.

Note that this list is error-prone as the filter criteria also makes it
contain newly created modules, but it might be interesting as another
data source for potentially abandonned modules (maybe combined with git
activity that I could also offer :-P ).

acme
at-poke
audiofile