Subscribing only to new bugs?

Gabriel Burt, one of the developers for Banshee, and I were discussing possible ways to slice and dice bug traffic to help followers/triagers keep up with the project's bugs. For example, life's commitments are making it hard for me to keep up with all bug traffic, but I'd be able to read all new bugs that were filed.

Is there any way to filter new bug filings and bug updates differently in Bugzilla? One workaround we thought of was handling the "[NEW]*" bugs differently in our mail clients, but then it would be difficult to handle bugs to which you are CCed.

Or a way to set the assignee from PRODUCT-maint gnome bugs only when new or only when confirmed? We could change the assignee per component, but that would more or less defeat the purpose of general triaging.

Thoughts? Thanks!

--
Andrew Conkling
http://andrewski.net