Re: notes from QA BOF today

Hi Dave,

Dave Malcolm wrote:
On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 13:10 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
So, we had a QA BOF at the summit. Because the dogtail guys were
there, and they are very interested in getting dogtail into a jhbuild
tinderbox, that became most of the thrust of the BOF. A dump of my
notes:

things we're blocking on to run dogtail tests in tinderbox:
* makefile-without-configure module for pyspi/dogtail in jhbuild or
track down an autotools guru who can be volunteered (or 'touch
autogen.sh; cvs commit autogen.sh' ;)

I've created bugs 318534 and 318535 to cover the unjhbuildability  (if
that's a word) of pyspi and dogtail respectively.

I've created bug 318531 as a tracker bug for getting tinderbox building
working.  This has the above two bugs as blockers (I like tracker bugs).
I've attached a patch to the gnome-2.14.modules file to 318531 which
adds pyspi and dogtail (is this committable, or will this break the
build for everyone?).
* create dogtail-tests/ to contain module-specific tests and
meta-tests. should tag this with same patterns as gnome for gnome
releases, so you can check out the 2.14 tests forever

I've imported this into GNOME CVS, with an initial testcase (which has
gcalctool doing multiplication tables).  Doesn't yet work, due to the
nonjhbuildability of dogtail.

I also attached a proposed "gnome-2.14-testsuite.modules" file to 318531
which contains this testcase as a module.  I've deliberately kept the
name agnostic regarding which test automation system is in use - it can
contain both LDTP and Dogtail scripts, depending on what people feel
comfortable working with.
Thats interesting :)
* create a test module type in jhbuild (or just do same crappy
autogen/configure hack)

jhbuild seems to happily deal with the lack of any autotool files; my
testcase module has a Makefile with a simple:

all:
 	name-of-test.py

layout, which succesfully invokes the test in jhbuild when I run
jhbuild buildone dogtail-tests/gcalctool

It invokes the test script, but fails due to it not finding dogtail
installed in the correct python location.

* running headless: figure out xvfb v. xfake, maybe just use whichever
is installed; need to get a full session going- what exactly are the
needs for the session? could jhbuild run gnome-session (inside session
run test scripts) or could maybe do the nat-jeff session:
http://nat.org/2005/october/#Keep-It-Simple-Stupid instead of a real
session

I filed this as bug 318537 and added it to the tracker bug.
I have done some work on that based on Luis Villa suggestion - http://gnomebangalore.org/ldtp/index.php/Howto_run_pyldtp_inside_Xvfb_which_runs_in_xinit_session
things we'd really like:
 * recording tools that record scripts for maintainers to play back
(for reproduction purposes and regression testing) and potentially
also video. Could do a sabayon-style editor to trim extraneous things.
Probably need to require playback/verification/duplication before
upload.
I filed this as bug 318538; it's not on the tinderbox tracker bug.

* 'real' jhbuild integration- do it per module with separate column
instead of fake modules; this might require quite a bit of jhbuild
rearch, depending on exact goals.

performance/memory/etc. stuff:
* get the infrastructure running need to talk to the performance
people; tell them 'we're going to be running all the apps in an
automated fashion, what do you want to know?' examples include:
bootchart.org, valgrind
LDTP already have support for this :) - http://gnomebangalore.org/ldtp/index.php/Class_pstats As of now, this can track only the memory and CPU of the specified application, while executing the test-scripts.
I didn't any bugs for these at this time - the idea of this list is to
try to reduce the total number of open bugs, right :-P

Dave
Thanks
Nagappan
--
Nagappan A <anagappan novell com>
Novell Software Development (I) Pvt. Ltd.