Re: some thoughts about contributing to gnome

Am Mittwoch, den 11.05.2005, 08:18 +0200 schrieb Vincent Untz:
> It seems there is a specific problem you're not considering here:
> maintainers that are volunteers.

I see your point and there is no easy answer how to solve the problem. I
believe we need to look at an individual component to solve the problem.
I do want to give a qualified answer and maybe even a proposal, so I am
planning to look through all gnome-panel bugs shortly; unfortunately I
didn't find much time today so I will try to sort through more bugs
tomorrow.

Have there been any attempts to identify which non-maintainers
contributed more than ~3(,4,5,whatever) patches, so that a maintainer
who urgently needs help can ask them whether they may be interested to
become a co-maintainer? They don't need to contribute much new code,
simply accepting patches seems to be great help already.

I noticed that in the last two or three months the number of unreviewed
patches has been growing rapidly; when I checked a few months ago the
count was at ~500, now we are close to breaking the 900 barrier.
Meaning, we will probably soon have even less time to review new
patches, making the problem even worse. Something needs to be done.

-Samuel