Re: some thoughts about contributing to gnome

Am Dienstag, den 10.05.2005, 16:25 -0600 schrieb Elijah Newren:
> Sweet, thanks for going through the list.  Unfortunately, I don't have
> a lot of time, but it'd be great if someone could go through the list
> and either kick some of these off the list or clean them up a bit.

I can post comments into the bugs to ping them to attention if anyone
believes that is going to help.

> However, perhaps I should make the report not list bugs
> with unreviewed patches anyway?  That sounds fairly reasonable--it may
> cut some valid bugs off the list (which is what I was worried about),
> but it'd probably kill an awful lot of "noise" as well, judging from
> the size of your list.

Agreed, the primary intention of the gnome-love list was to make it easy
for new developers to find suitable bugs. If a bug appears there then
something should really need to be done. I would rather see some bugs
incorrectly hidden if this serves the overall quality of the list.

> We've pinged d-d-l a few times about this.  My question to
> you is: do you have any ideas about how we could be more effective at
> getting developers to review patches?

I am probably going to make myself unpopular, but I would suggest
regular notifications (once per 48 hours) on bugs that have a new
attachment and have not been confirmed. (Implement an automatic "cvs
commit" right remover for those who do not review their product's
patches properly and you also get my vote ;-).)

IIRC there were also plans to change the NEEDINFO behaviour so that when
a post was made such bugs are automatically reverted to the previous
status (or some other defined status), which would also make sense.

-Samuel