gnome problem with lan running, problem with theme icons

Two problems using Gnome :-
1. Since I started using eth0 and eth1 for cable internet connection and internal LAN repectively, when they are both started Gnome apps taker forever to display after loading, and in the case of gnome-theme-manager it loads but refuses totally to display. Stopping the network with /etc/init.d/network stop allows all gnome apps to display normally immediately on loading again. I'm currently using all gnome components from cvs head, x.org 6.8.2. dunno where to report this - metacity, gdm2, gnome-panels, gnome-session ?? 2. Many theme icons won't display anymore e.g. Nuvola menu icon. Worked up until recently. Is this gtk+ or the images themselves that have changed ?
Rod
http://distributedcomputing.info - find out how to make your pc work for the community