Re: Moving Evolution bugs to gnome.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:19:03 +0100, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 12:15:11PM -0600, Gerardo Marin wrote:
> > We really want to have this accomplished in the best way for GNOME, so
> > we need your feedback on GNOME needs for migration. Please let us know
> > any requirements for the export/import process and the best date for
> > doing it as well as any other activity on our side to make this happen.
> > Hope to hear from you soon.
>
> I'm still busy writing a script for this. It'll require two databases
> and use insert statements to move the data from one database to the
> other. I've used checksetup.pl to make the database structures the same.
> After that the script is responsible for moving the data and updating
> the references (userids, bugnrs, attachmentnrs).
>
> It uses the next available bug# and attachment#. I've planned to update
> the bugnrs and attachments mentioned in the comments.
>
> User that do not exist in b.g.o will be automatically copied (including
> password). Groups used in these bugs are recreated, access is also
> copied over (but not the permissions like canconfirm/
> editcomponents/..). Updating group access for existing users hasn't been
> written yet.
>
> Version details and OS details will not be copied over. OS will be
> simplified.
>
> I need some input from everyone on the following:
> * Exact products to move over. Are there other products besides
>   Evolution that should be moved over?

gtkhtml, GAL, evolution-data-server, evolution-sharp. Maybe Connector
too? Not sure what the state of that product is.

> * Dependencies. Some bugs depend on bugs in other products. What should
>   be done with these?

I'd hope all the external deps are pulled in by the list of products above.

> * Duplicates. Same as above, some bugs have been duplicated to other
>   products. Newer Bugzilla versions keep the duplicates in a separate
>   table. This table is checked for consistency by sanitycheck.cgi.
>   I suggest to move the relevant bugs over to the other products. Same
>   for non-Evolution bugs duplicated against a Evolution bug.

If they have been marked duplicate against something not in the list
above (say, Ximian Desktop 2) we might as well just drop them
completely, IMHO.

> * Priority vs severity. B.x.c has critical/major/normal in the Priority
>   field. This is the Severity field in b.g.o. I can move this easily
>   over, but:

In addition, I'd make anything blocker/critical severity 'high'
priority in b.g.o; that seems to be the best mapping to me for how we
used to use it. Gerardo, any thoughts there?

> * Time tracking. B.x.c uses the Severity field for some time tracking
>   purpose. B.g.o has no field for this. Bugzilla 2.18 (?) will have
>   time tracking features, but we're at 2.16.

We can drop the time tracking, I believe- gerardo, jpr?