Re: Maximum results to return from query

On 12/5/05, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
> > My question: What is the maximum number of bugs you would ever want to
> > see as a query result? I'm guessing 2000.
>
> The only time I ever have thought that more than about 250 bugs would
> be useful from buglist.cgi was when I was trying to get a count of how
> many bugs of a particular type existed.  I bet others use it the same
> way.

I know I do, for basic stats, and have gotten meaningful answers in
the tens of thousands- see, for example, my blog post of yesterday.

> Given the existence of browse.cgi to satisfy most such basic
> questions (and their ability to ask us when they have more advanced
> questions),

> I think the limit could be a lot lower than 2000, though
> 2000 does definitely seem safe.
>
> What'd be really cool is if we could have a way to have queries that
> have taken longer than N minutes automatically be terminated.  I have
> no clue how we'd do that, though.

That seems like a better approach, at least in theory. But yeah, I
don't know how we'd implement it either.

Olav, do we know for certain that the long running queries were blank
ones? ISTR that those take a fairly short time for the query to return
and a long time to render in the browser (which makes it look like it
is taking a lot of horsepower on the server), and that the surest way
to hose the box is with a very complicated query that only returns a
few bugs, not a broad one that returns lots of bugs.