Re: next question, wrt 125788

Hi Heather,

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 05:11, Heather Flanagan wrote:
> Next bug triage attempt...
>
> Non-registered user has a bug he was able to reproduce without fail,
> and gives the steps he took to make said bug evince itself.  However,
> no actual crash dump.  I'm not actually sure, given the description,
> that a useful crash dump could have been gotten out of this anyway.
> What to do, what to do...
>
> In any case, I think the bug is filed under the wrong module
> (desktop-file-utils) and should be filed under Totem, tho' I would want
> to verify that it was only after using totem that he could not eject
> the cdrom.

Hmmm. This one is a difficult one, because it could be a number of
things. For example, totem is not responsible for popping up the desktop
icon.

> so, on this one I'd probably mark it as NEEDINFO, at least some more
> detail, and if he has to force a kill of a process or something, a
> crashdump would be helpful.  Does that sound right?

My immediate question would be to ask what the output of "fuser
/dev/cdrom" gives when he cannot eject. That will give a list of PIDs
that are currently accessing the device. Then a bit of poking around
with 'ps' might reveal the culprit (which sometimes is something as
crazy as xscreensaver).

I'm not sure that asking for a traceback is useful here, since it is not
clear what, if anything, has actually hung.

> And on a more general note, who/how/when are bugs considered part of
> Gnome, versus part of the distribution of OS that Gnome was released
> with?

This particular bug is probably a problem for the downstream
distribution, since it involves a number of Fedora features, such as
magicdev monitoring the CD-ROM drive, that are not a standard part of a
GNOME setup (at least, not under GNOME's control). They will then need
somebody to verify it on something like Fedora Core 1 or the Core 2 Beta
when that comes out.

> And if I'm asking anything stupid, I hope someone will tell me and
> point me at more doc's!

Nothing stupid here. That bug is quite a hard one. Glad I don't have to
try and work out what to do with it. :-)

Cheers,
Malcolm