Re: PROPOSAL: Evolution for GNOME 2.6

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 16:21, David Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alex Duggan wrote:
> > > And is there a unified diff of GNOME Bugzilla against the
> > > official 2.10 bugzilla lying around?
> >
> > A lot of changes have been made.  I don't think you have a big enough
> > hard drive for that diff file :)
>
> A full bugzilla install's only a few hundred K - which means that
> even if everything changed, the diff would only be double that. I
> guess you were joking, though... either that or you were poking
> fun at my hard drive.
>
> What version of bugzilla would we move to, when we move? 2.17 in
> anticipation of 2.18, or 2.16? And for someone new to the
> bugzilla-maintainers alias, how far along are the preparations
> for the move? What can I do to help?

2.17 mostly works, CVS module bugzilla-new. If you want to help, great!

My plan was to hammer at it in the weeks leading up to xmas since I've
on holiday starting next weekend. The most important thing is to try to
make sure we don't have regressions from our current setup. I can't
remember if there's an up-to-date todo list, but things off the top of
my head:

* Make a simple-bug-guide analogy, preferably using templates so we
don't need to maintain it separately.
* Tidy up the bug-entering page; I mocked up
http://www.gnome.org/~aes/sample_enter_bug.html once (not really a
mock-up, I've got the template changes on my hard drive) but the
consensus was that it's probably half-way between "simple" and
"advanced" where "simple" should be simpler (probably multi-page and
simple-bug-guide -like) and advanced should be slightly more power-user
friendly. Got the IRC log somewhere too.
* Make sure the essential reports are working (not sure if _any_ reports
are working)
* Get people to hammer bugzilla-test.gnome.org
* Upgrade.

I'm fairly sure I can remember how to do the upgrade (migration of bug
database), but I've promised to document our delta for the future.

We don't need to be completely identical to 2.10; at this point, it's
more important to get the upgrade done than to port unused cruft from
2.10. We can always tidy up loose ends when 2.16 is live. But the stuff
above is fairly essential if we're going to avoid regressing too much.

There's not actually all that much to do. Thanks everybody for moaning
about this, we'll try to get it done by christmas! ( ha ha )

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>