Re: interesting food for thought

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 02:12, David Fallon wrote:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/news/20020912.html
>
> - on custom fields and bug tracking systems. A nice reminder for me, and
> as always my apologies if it was a waste of time for you...

Yeah, someone at ximian pointed this out to me. While I disagree with
some of his points[1] it's generally a sane one we'd do well to think
hard about. That said, custom fields are probably still worthwhile-
though it might be a good goal to say 'every time you add a custom
field, remove another field' or some such.

Luis

[1]'But the goal of a bug tracking database is to keep track of bugs,
which, all else being equal, takes priority over making it easy to find
them.' Bullshit. If you can't find them and/or sort, you can't fix them,
unless your bug system has ~10 bugs in it. If he were right about this,
none of us would need to do anything, since it's clear that b.g.o. does
just fine /accumulating/ bugs :)