Re: closing bounced needinfo bugs

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 05:27, Shane OConnor - Sun Ireland wrote:

> >Hey, in my continued quest to get some traffic going on the bugsquad list
> >(sorry! :)), I figured i'd pass along what I was doing just in case it was
> >wrong... In my continued quest to kill the "spam" (bounced emails) bugmaster
> >gets, I've been going through the bounces. There have been several (4-5 now)
> >that have been bounces on needinfo'd bugs, implying the user will never get the
> >needinfo notification, and thus never add info. For those, I've been closing
> >the bug (irrespective of the product). Is this all good? Am I screwing thigs
> >up?
>
> You need to be careful you don't close bugs that still exist - I'm doing the
> same thing here in Sun at the moment and am also finding a lot of bugs that
> either: (a) have no comments for ages or (b) have been imported to bugzilla from
> "unknown". In this case I try to recreate the bug and if I can't then I close it
> - in most cases the bug is fixed/not reproducible BUT there have been cases
> where the bug is still present.

No, not really. :)

The beauty in open source is that we can basically presume a brute force
approach to QA- if we accidentally close something, if the bug is at all
important, it's going to be reopened or refiled.

So... yes, obviously, we should seek not to close things that are still
bugs. At the same time, it's not worth losing sleep over- it'll get
refiled if it really is a serious problem. Hooray for having users that
actually like you. :)