Re: New GNOME2 bug submission page- still needs a lot of love :)

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 08:53, Calum Benson wrote:
> In general, all the pages are too wide, even when I make my browser
> window square (and I prefer a portrait-shaped window) it still shows
> horizontal scrollbars, and horizontal scrolling is yucky :)  Especially
> as scrolling reveals that there isn't actually any content lurking off
> the edge in some cases.

Hrm, OK.... I'll see what I can do about that. Not really sure what I
can do about it, though, given how little I understand the HTML : )

> As somebody noted earlier, the list of applications doesn't appear at
> all in NS4.x, and the "press this button once you're done" cell is
> completely black apart from the "Next Page" button.

Hopefully this'll go away when I apply Steve's changes.

> No indication of what I've done wrong if I don't select an application
> before pressing "Next Page", it just bounces me back to the same page
> with no explanation.

Yeah, I knew that... I'll take a look at it, but that requires a lot
more state than I wanted to go maintain when first writing it. [I
<heart> webapps. Not. :)]

> Again, the second page is way wider than it needs to be-- this time it's
> more annoying because half the list in Step 3 is chopped off.
>
> Ditto for Step 4, half the button is chopped off.

Ditto on earlier HTML/width comments.

> "List of recently reported bugs"-- might be nicer if these opened in a
> separate browser window so the user didn't have to keep finding their
> way back to this page (but if you do this, make sure the popup doesn't
> directly overlay the existing window, so the user knows what's happened
> and doesn't wonder why their Back button has suddenly stopped working).

Eck. I will not use popups, period. But I'll happily take other
suggestions :)

> All the images need ALT text, including the big numbered circles.  (It
> would be better if these weren't graphics at all, though, that way the
> user who needs high/low contrast text wouldn't be disadvantaged by your
> choice of colour...)

Yeah, knew about the alt-text. I'm hoping Steve fixed that. :)

> Step 6:  Don't use "here" as a link, this tells nothing to people using
> screenreaders that just read out the link text.  Text in this case could
> be something like "Look here for <guidance on categorising the
> severity>" or similar, where the text in brackets represents the link.

Huh. Never thought of that as an a11y issue, just a usability one. Will
fix.

> Again, would be useful if the severity descriptions page opened in a
> small popup window so people can refer to it while entering their bug
> reports.

Again, I think popups are fairly evil.

> "Dos and Donts" should almost certainly be "Do's and Dont's"...

Doh. :)

> Step 8: "Which operating system"-- I guess this should default to the OS
> you're currently running on, like the current bugzilla form does.

Actually, the current bugzilla form is sort of broken for many browsers
released in the last two years, which is why I didn't just steal the
code; I need to update it in the main bugzilla first.

?

> I'm sure the docs guys will have some suggestions on tightening
> up/de-jargoning/de-colloquialising some of the wording as well :)
> Cc'ing the ones here to see if they have any suggestions.

Go for it. :)