Re: the bug team and gnome2.2

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 15:10, Luis Villa wrote:
> So... as some of you may have heard, I'm still going to be doing gnome
> bugs for GNOME2.2. I might not be doing that after GNOME2.2, though[1].
> And frankly I spend too many hours doing this already. :) So... that
> means the bug team needs to think a bit about organization and the
> future. Really, it means we need to be a team :)

Cool. Glad you'll keep driving this bus at least as far as 2.2.

Let me suggest that "be a team" may require a name, a slightly more
formal organization (which is in a sense what you're suggesting below)
and, most importantly, pep rallies and matching T-shirts (or at least
socks with nice logos).

My experience with the GDP is that being part of the "GNOME
Documentation Project", rather than being one of "a bunch of people what
work on GNOME docs" carries some intangible weight and value for
participants. Although we don't, sadly, have T-shirts or socks with nice
logos.

A more formal organization would make it easier to assign specific roles
and responsibilities.

> *just as each package has a maintainer, each package should have a QA
> person, or a QA team, much like nautilus (at least theoretically) has
> ATM. Yaneti is the Galeon Guy, Kjartan is the GNOME1.4 core guy... we
> need more guys (and gals!) who can identify with and claim their own QA
> apps and build a relationship with the code maintainers.

This is the approach the GDP uses - a docs person with responsibility
for user docs in each package that needs/contains user docs. It's been
relatively successful.

There are likely some packages, of course, where the maintainer stays
completely on top of bugzilla and no extra bugsquad member is needed
(DV's libxml/libxslt stuff comes to mind from personal experience - I
assume there are others).

One thing that has been useful in my experience is the use of maint- and
QA-aliases, simply because bugzilla spam in mailbox is a good way to
ensure that bugs get a quick look (I still look at all gnome-utils out
of habit, and can frequently quickly close 'em, just because I am still
on the gnome-utils-maint alias). (Bugzilla is what finally forced me to
switch to Evolution, just to manage the mail flow - good work, Luis!)
Are we already using this to its fullest potential?

> *obviously, we need more bodies- bugdays need to be more communal, and
> maybe we need to think about having a few of them later in the evenings
> (for americans) or even on weekends. And of course any other ideas about
> how to bring people in are good.

T-shirts and socks with nice logos might be good.

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead