Re: Should we move to gitlab.gnome.org?

Yay! Good work Felipe.

On 11 January 2018 at 12:29, Felipe Borges <felipeborges gnome org> wrote:
Hi everyone!

As you have probably noticed already, the GitLab migration is done.
Sorry for the bugmail. :p

I have listed below a few key points and diferences in the
contribution workflow which might be useful for those who haven't
followed closely the GItLab initiatiative.

- The repository AND bugs (issues) now live in
https://gitlab.gnome.org/gnome/gnome-boxes

- If you have a GNOME LDAP account (the one you use for git), you can
just login. If you don't have it, you can signup in Gitlab.

- The bugzilla bugs have been migrated.

- The contribution workflow is now "Merge Request" based. In order to
make a contribution you'd need:
  1. Clone or update your existing repo clone in gitlab (example:
gitlab.gnome.org/felipeborges/gnome-boxes)
  2. Create a topic branch (git checkout -b fix-annoying-bug)
  3. Push your changes to your own clone in gitlab
  4. Propose a Merge Request against the central repository (a link to
create one is automatically printed in your terminal once you push
your changes in step 3)

- We have decided to keep the history as clean as it is now, and
therefore there will be no merge commits. We have fastforward merges
enabled.

- We will setup CI and enable merging only when the pipeline succeeds.

- We will actively use the issues board to organize what's been worked
on, what is under review, what needs design, etc...
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-boxes/boards

- We plan to migrate the info in the GNOME Wiki
(https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Boxes/) to the GitLab Wiki if that's
decided as a GNOME-wide initiative. But other than that, I'd like to
build a bit of a knowledge base in the gitlab wiki where we can share
relevant information regarding virtualization setups (those virsh
snippets, troubleshooting tips, etc...)

Lets keep this thread going if you have any question, criticism, or
doubt concerning the migration.

Cheers,
Felipe Borges.