Re: Switch to Meson

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 04:46:56PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
Hi Felipe,

On 12 September 2017 at 11:36, Felipe Borges <felipeborges gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Since we are just past the release 3.26[0], the new 6 months cycle
shall give us plenty of time to test the new build system, and to file
and fix build related bugs.

Cool. Great work on this.

My planing is to make a gradual transition by merging the meson build
code[1] and keep it working simultaneously with the current autotools
machinery.

My opinion is that it's not worth it to keep the autotools around.
Instead you can provide backwards compatibility though a configure
script: https://git.gnome.org/browse/geocode-glib/tree/configure .

Personally I wouldn't even bother with doing that. Just switch to meson
and ditch autotools straight away. It is trivial for people to adapt from
running configure to running meson directly. You could give some hints
in the README file or provide a useful INSTALL file (unlike the one
that autotools ships which no one reads because it is horribly generic),
if we really think people will struggle to understand how to adapt to
running meson.

Regards,
Daniel