Re: GNOME Project, gnome-boxes.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 12:32 AM, Andrew Spalding
<andrewtspalding gmail com> wrote:
> Hello Zeeshan Ali,

Hi Andrew,

> I am interested in getting involved with the GNOME project and would like
> some advice. I've been attending a local GNOME/LUG meet up hosted by Meg
> Ford and Jim Campbell. Meg is a classmate at university and has motivated me
> to start contributing towards open source.
>
> This semester I will not be taking any programming classes. I would like to
> supplement that time and gain some experience working with a group and
> contributing to a project that involves more than a couple source files.
>
> I have been using open source and linux for at least 8 years, perhaps
> longer. Mostly as a desktop user, although initially I used Linux to replace
> Windows ME on a dedicated server for gaming. I've always been excited about
> testing out new features and seeing what open source developers are
> creating. Things have come a long way in the past ten years. I care a lot
> about the success of open source/free software and the ecosystem that it has
> created.

Cool. Seems you got the right background and motivation so you are
already half way towards your goals.

> Anyway, I'm looking for advice to get myself started, and some information
> about your build environment. I've been trying to build gnome-boxes with
> jhbuild without much luck. I solved the majority of the dependencies but I
> am still running into brick walls during compile time (I believe this may be
> from other dependencies that gnome-boxes relies on). If you are using
> jhbuild, could you possibly share your jhbuildrc file? If not could you
> summarize how you build and test your software.

I do use jhbuild, though I rarely rebuild all dependencies. Starting
from 3.6.x we have been trying not to bump many deps so once you get
Boxes build/running in there, you shouldn't have too much trouble in
future.

I'm attaching my .jhbuildrc. I'd just do a `jhbuild build gnome-boxes`
(i-e not build the whole gnome tree), hang out on #gnome-hackers IRC
channel on irc.gnome.org (where you'd also find #boxes channel) and
when a module doesn't build, ask on the channel. My nick is 'zeenix'
there. Christophe (IRC nick: teuf) is also very helpful there.

If you prefer email over IRC, there is our mailing-list that I've put on CC.

> Anyway, I've checked out some of the bugs, have some stuff I'm interested in
> helping getting completed, and have reviewed some of the source code on git.
> I currently have jhbuild installed and as many dependencies that I can dig
> up from the repositories! I'm currently running gnome 3.5.91 on the GNOME
> remix of Ubuntu 12.10.

Well 3.5.91 isn't too old but if you want to work as developer, you'll
need to get git master built first.

> I'd really like the opportunity to contribute to GNOME. If you could help me
> get your project built, I'd love to have some advice and possibly a mentor!
> I really appreciate the time taken to review my email!

No problem. Will gladly help you but you'll have to be slightly more
specific about what problem(s) you are having, for us to be able to
help you out.

> Happy new year!

Happy new year to you too. Hope it'll be the year of us getting more
awesome contributors.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)