reaching the guest from the host through network

Hello,

 I successfully set up a virtual machine guest which has full access to internet. However I would like to reach the guest from the host through network. I have googled extensively on the subject; it seems this is handled by libvirt, however I don't find much information on the topic, it seems gnome-boxes may be using libvirt in a bit special way.

 I would be satisfied with NAT forwarding of a couple of ports if nothing else; is that possible and can you give information on how to achieve that? What is confusing me a bit is that the guest is in a different subnet than the host, isn't that going to be problematic?

 Thank you!

Emmanuel