Re: To save or not to save

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 07:49:46PM +0200, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
> 1. For hosts with a lot of RAM, where most of the guest RAM will not
> be swapped out, is there a compelling reason to save RAM as they have
> plenty to spare?

I'd rather have my spare RAM being used for disk cache or whatever the
kernel sees fit to use it for rather than having it keep around VM data
that I don't need anymore.

> For hosts with not a lot of RAM, saving mostly just
> means saving swap at the cost of home partition (or somewhere else in
> filesystem).

swap is a fixed size resource, and pretty small compared to the amount of
RAM used by VMs while the home partition generally have much more space
available, so the two are not equivalent in your comparison. Basically,
swap will be saturated with just a few VMs.

The tradeoff here seems to be saving -> bad perf impact for a few minutes
after Boxes exits VS not saving -> perf impact (less memory/swap available
for more useful stuff) for the duration of the GNOME session. It would
probably be better to figure out a way to make saving less noticeable/heavy
if that's why saving is annoying you.

Christophe